Thursday, September 8, 2011

Heat Recovery Ventilator

My two years of contract work in Florida having finally ended last week, I managed to land my first radon job in Nashville through a previous client.

This job was a tough call because it is a fairly large crawlspace, which some other firm had already attempted to seal with a plastic liner, but apparently it failed to have any effect on radon levels, possibly because the moisture in the walls prevented any kind of significant sealing of the edges. I could either install a better plastic liner, at a cost of a few thousand dollars and hope I can seal it, or merely install a heat recovery ventilator (air exchanger) for much less. So I installed the HRV.

Here are some pictures, although I forgot to photograph the exit vents. I am anxiously awaiting the results of the post-radon test. Hopefully this does the job. Check back for the results of test #1:

 Actually nice because you can stand up in the center part

 Moisture in the walls does not bode well for long-term sealing

A nice new Fantech HRV with 200 cfm capacity

No comments:

Post a Comment