Friday, April 8, 2011

Return Trip

I had to return to a client's home yesterday, after their long-term test came back over the limit for radon. All my work is guaranteed, so I have to keep returning until the problem is fixed, or I give them a refund. I think I have 2 jobs, where I did a bunch of work but had to refund them anyways. Those are a killer. Hopefully, this is a fixable house. We shall see....

The vacuum point was originally installed through their sump-pit cover in the basement, which usually works well, but did not in this case. Their original short-term test had returned excellent results, strangely enough.

This time I removed the sump pit section, and installed the pipe through the concrete floor-the more standard approach, giving us a shorter pipe run. I also applied concrete sealer around the entire perimeter of the basement. This is a big radon entry point, where the expansion joints are located:

 Sealing the perimeter of the basement

 Original pipe entry from adjoining crawlspace

 O marks the spot

 Bracing hammer drill with my knee

 Suctioning out a gravel pit

 A thick gravel under-layer is a huge advantage in effective radon reduction


 This Brown Recluse would surely put a hurtin' on ya'.

  Several tools needed for radon mitigation



 Finished!


                   Dumping gravel at my secret spot





2 comments: