Saturday, December 17, 2011

Sealing Your Crawlspace

I thought I was finished with radon work for 2011, but I had a follow-up visit to a home where the radon levels have stubbornly remained above 4.0. This time I concentrated on sealing the existing vapor barrier in the crawlspace. After about 4 hours of taping and sealing, I got the vacuum gauge to show a slight increase in suction for my efforts:

Manometer/Vacuum Gauge at the Start 

Sand and gravel helps seal difficult areas around cement pillars

Leftover tile pieces serve to seal the perimeter 

Specialty seam tape for sealing tears and other openings 

Gravel for sealing openings around the water heater 

Bricks circa 1910 seal off the sloppy edges 

A hair-increase in vacuum is actually significant for this size area!

No comments:

Post a Comment